External Hard Drive Repair Tips
Important Note: Based upon the amount of the issues onto your external hard drive, the below steps might possibly result in a complete failure of your external hard. Hence, prior to running these External Hard Drive Repair Tips, make sure you backup everything onto your computer.
1. Insert your Win XP/2000 setup disc & restart your desktop. In case you get a prompt about what method of boot you want to apply, pick the one which allows you to boot from your setup disc.
2. On the next, pick the letter “R” for gaining access to your Windows Recovery Console.
3. When asked what type of partition you wish to boot to, select the one which includes your Win OS. You may also be requested to enter an administrator password here. In case you have one, enter it there. Otherwise, press continue.
4. In the command prompt, enter chkdsk /p & hit enter.
5. The system will now start diagnostic tests to check for errors onto your external hard drive. If you get a message like; “Errors are identified on volume”, use CHKDSK in order to eliminate these errors. If the command doesn’t identify any errors, then CHKDSK might not be able to repair the external hard drive of your system.
6. In case two or more errors were spotted, enter: chkdsk /r & press enter.
7. The moment you press enter, the system will begin examining each sector onto your external hard drive to check for errors & automatically fix them. Depending upon your hard drive size, this could take a while.
8. Once your system stops scanning & gets you back to command prompt, enter: chkdsk /p & hit enter once more.
9. In case, after the scan, no errors have been identified, it indicates you’ve correctly did your External Hard Drive Repair. If any faults are seen again, then the command was not able to fix these issues plus it may also show the fact that your external hard drive is in its final stage.
10. Escape from the Recovery Console & eject your installation disc. In case you haven’t, back up all your important data present on your external hard drive.
For those who’re uncertain on how to carry out the steps mentioned above in order to do an external hard disk repair, we suggest you to get an assistance from your offline/online tech support person.
Tags: External Hard Drive Repair Tips, chkdsk, Recovery Console, system, Windows Recovery Console, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8